Cephalexin (Keflex) is a semisynthetic antibiotic of cephalosporin range. It is used to fight with staphylococci, streptococci, pneumococci, salmonella, shigella, proteus, treponema, and klebsiella.
Cephalexin is used to treat:
- upper and lower respiratory tract infections (pneumonia, bronchitis, pneumonia, empyema, abscess lung),
- urinary tract infections (including acute and chronic pyelonephritis, cystitis, urethritis),
- gynecological infections (including endometritis),
- infections of bones and joints (including acute and chronic osteomyelitis),
- prostatitis, epididymitis, gonorrhea, lymphangitis.
Name Package Per Pill Price
Keflex (Cephalexin) 250 mg 60 pills 1.01$ 60.75$
Keflex (Cephalexin) 250 mg 120 pills 0.94$ 112.53$
Keflex (Cephalexin) 250 mg 30 pills 1.16$ 34.86$
Keflex (Cephalexin) 750 mg 30 pills 1.63$ 48.90$
Keflex (Cephalexin) 500 mg 30 pills 1.30$ 39.03$
Keflex (Cephalexin) 500 mg 60 pills 1.16$ 69.57$
Keflex (Cephalexin) 500 mg 90 pills 1.11$ 100.11$
Keflex (Cephalexin) 250 mg 90 pills 0.96$ 86.64$
- headache, dizziness, weakness, sleepiness, agitation, hallucinations, seizures;
- reversible leukopenia, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, eosinophilia;
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dry mouth, decreased appetite, abdominal pain, pseudomembranous colitis, cholestatic jaundice, hepatitis, dysbiosis;
- vaginitis, vaginal secretions, interstitial nephritis, itchy genitals and anus;
- itching, skin rash, toxic epidermal necrolysis, urticaria, angioedema, anaphylactic shock, arthralgia;
- candidiasis of intestine, mouth, and genitals.
Cephalexin is contraindicated for patients with:
- hypersensitivity to the drug and its components (including other beta-lactam antibiotics);
- renal failure;
- pseudomembranous colitis;
Patients with allergic reactions to penicillins and carbapenems may be sensitive to Keflex antibiotics.
It is not recommended to drink alcohol during the drug usage.
How to take
The drug is taken orally, with a full glass of water, 30 – 60 minutes before the meal.
Average dose for adults and children older than 10 years old is 250 – 500 mg every 6 hours. If necessary, the daily dose can be increased up to 4 gr. Minimum duration of treatment with infections caused by beta-hemolytic streptococcus is 10 days.
Average dose for children under the age of 10 is 25-100 mg / kg body weight
Cephalexin has a bactericidal effect, so it is inappropriate to use it in conjunction with antibiotics, having bacteriostatic effect (for example, antibiotics, tetracycline, and chloramphenicol).
Furosemide, ethacrynic acid and nephrotoxic antibiotics (including aminoglycosides) increase the risk of kidney damage.
Cephalexin increases the effect of anticoagulants, while salicylates and indomethacin slow excretion of the drug.
Take the capsule as soon as you remember. However, dont take the double dose and continue the prescribed dosage.
Symptoms of overdose include nausea, vomiting, epigastric pain, diarrhea, hematuria.
It is necessary to carry out common activities aimed at the maintenance of respiratory function and cardiovascular system.
In case of severe overdose, contact emergency services immediately (USA/UK – 911 / 112 / 999).
The medicine should be kept in a dry place with temperature no higher than 25C, away from children.
Has a Generic Cephalexin been approved?
Yes, generic Cephalexin is no different from regular brand products.
Other manufacturers include:
- Alembic Chemical Works Co Ltd
- Dabur Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Lincoln Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Orphic Pharma (India) Ltd
- Banson Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Bhavishya Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Bactolac Formulations Pvt. Ltd
- Blue Cross Laboratories Ltd
- Cyper Drugs & Pharmaceuticals (P) Ltd
- BMW Pharmaco India Pvt Ltd
- Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Shield Healthcare Pvt. Ltd
- Alcare (Akums Drugs Pharmaceuticals Ltd)
- Finecure Pharmaceuticals Ltd
You can buy Cephalexin Generic or Keflex online without any prescription.