Bactrim (Sulfamethoxazol) is used to treat the following diseases:
- respiratory tract infections and upper respiratory tract: exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, otitis, and pneumonia caused by Pneumocystis carinii;
- infections of the urinary tract: urinary tract infection, chancroid;
- infections of the gastrointestinal tract: typhoid and paratyphoid fever, shigellosis, travelers’ diarrhea, cholera;
- other bacterial infections: infections caused by a variety of microorganisms such as brucellosis, acute and chronic osteomyelitis, nocardiosis, actinomycosis, toxoplasmosis and South American blastomycosis.
- allergic reactions: fever, angioedema, anaphylactoid reactions, serum sickness;
- adverse reactions of the skin and subcutaneous tissues are usually expressed weakly and quickly disappear after drug withdrawal, rarely – photosensitivity, and development of erythema;
- nausea (with or without vomiting); rarely – stomatitis, glossitis, diarrhea;
- very rarely – renal failure, interstitial nephritis, increased blood urea nitrogen, serum creatinine, crystalluria.
Bactrim is contraindicated for patients with:
- increased sensitivity to co-trimoxazole and other components of the drug;
- expressed lesions of the liver parenchyma;
- severe renal insufficiency;
- blood disorders (aplastic anemia, B12 deficiency anemia, agranulocytosis, leukopenia, megaloblastic anemia due to folic acid deficiency);
- thyroid dysfunction, asthma, and folic acid deficiency.
How to take
- The drug is taken orally, with a full glass of water, after a meal.
- Minimum dose and dose for long-term treatment (more than 14 days) is 1scoop in the morning and evening.
- Maximum dose (in severe cases) is 6 scoops in the morning and evening.
- Women with acute uncomplicated urinary tract infections should take 8-12 scoops a day.
Bactrim may increase digoxin serum concentrations, especially in elderly patients, therefore, it requires monitoring of digoxin serum concentrations.
Patients, who also receive amantadine or memantine, have an increased risk of adverse events in the nervous system.
Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole can decrease the effectiveness of tricyclic antidepressants.
Avoid concurrent use of clozapine, as it can cause agranulocytosis.
Take the capsule as soon as you remember. However, dont take the double dose and continue the prescribed dosage.
Symptoms of overdose include nausea, vomiting, intestinal colic, dizziness, headache, drowsiness, depression, fainting, confusion, and blurred vision.
In case of severe overdose, contact emergency services immediately (USA/UK – 911 / 112 / 999).
The medicine should be kept in a dry place with temperature no higher than 30C, away from children. Expiration date is 60 months.
Has a Generic Bactrim been approved?
Yes. The following products are equivalent to Bactrim:
SEPTRA (sulfamethoxazole; trimethoprim tablet;oral)
– Manufacturer: MONARCH PHARMS
Approved Prior to Jan 1, 1982
SULFAMETHOXAZOLE AND TRIMETHOPRIM (sulfamethoxazole; trimethoprim tablet;oral)
– Manufacturer: AMNEAL PHARMS NY
Approval date: January 27, 2005
– Manufacturer: AUROBINDO PHARMA
Approval date: February 16, 2010
– Manufacturer: GLENMARK GENERICS
Approval date: December 22, 2010
– Manufacturer: VINTAGE
Approval date: January 25, 2007
– Manufacturer: VISTA PHARMS
Approval date: October 7, 2005
You can buy Bactrim Generic or Sulfamethoxazol online without any prescription
- Select dosage/quantity
- Add to cart
- Proceed to checkout
- Checkout as a guest or create an account
- Enter address information and payment info
- Select shipping method and wait for delivery